Andrew's Address

Elder Andrew Reay
2250 Meadow Glade Ln.
Apt. 1
Memphis, TN 38134

Elder Andrew Reay
Arkansas Little Rock Mission
905 Kierre Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72216-3709

Monday, May 4, 2015

Well, THAT was more of a cow than I wanted to see...

I'll explain that at the end. How are y'all doing? Happy May the Fourth Be With You!! I got really concerned when I thought I had missed it. I hope your day is full of nerdy wonderfulness!

All righty, let's go over the week:
Monday the zone leaders got here, and it was pretty darn fun! We ended up with Elder Marquez playing Smash-Up again (I got destroyed) then we went to the Bs for dinner. Then we went to an appointment with T, a former investigator, and her mom. It went pretty well, and we are coming back to their place to teach them! 

Tuesday we started off with a district meeting with the zone leaders. It was good. Basically they came up to get some things rolling in Jonesboro. Most of the zones in the mission have a "core" area where it all gets anchored down. But our zone, since it was made last year, has not been able to find one. So we were chosen as one of the testing grounds. Anyhoo, after that we had an appointment with Sis. D, who came to church the week before. It went well, and we answered a lot of questions and set a date with her for the 17th of May to be baptized! Then we went to English class for the last week. They are going on summer break for a month, so probably I won't be here when they start up again, which is sad because there are 70 people from Mexico coming into the program, so we'd be a huge help! After that, we had a good lesson with D. We talked a lot about revelation and how the Holy Ghost communicates with us. He learned a lot, and it cleared up a lot of concerns. Then we went to dinner at the Ls' house, which was super delicious. We did try to set an appointment with don, but he didn't respond so we went to Bay to teach Q. He cut down to a cigarette every other day, and no coffee! He should be baptized this month. 

Wednesday we did a lot of walking around, and it went really well! We met two AMAZING people, T and A. we were just walking down the street and both of us felt we should knock on this one door. As we were walking up, their little dog jumped out from behind this little gardening wall and started going nuts. We were about to back out and keep going when they came out and calmed it down for us. We talked with them for about an hour outside about our message, and they both loved it! They told us to come back when A's mom was home, since she liked religion and would love to talk with us! 

Thursday started off with another lesson with T, which went wonderfully as usual. She is super prepared to get baptized. Then we went to the Gs, a couple where the husband is Hispanic and the wife is American. It's kinda funny, neither of them speak the other's language at all but they both understand each other. I guess in marriage, everything works out. :) After that we went to visit S, since she told us that she was leaving for a month to go help take care of her boyfriend's mom. She promised to read and text us any questions she has from it. Then we went to the Os to follow up on their reading, but only their kids were home, so we talked with them for a bit. one of them had the audacity to whip out his Ipad and start playing all of the Avengers II trailers. We were understandably upset. By the way, thank you all for not mentioning anything about that move to me yet. It's giving me PMMD. (Post- Mission Movie Disorder :P) So then we had dinner at Bro R's house, which was super delicious. I tried turnip greens for the first time. A little stringy, but pretty good! 

Friday we had a zone meeting that had randomly been scheduled. President Wakolo had gone to a mission president's seminar, and he wanted to tell us all about it. It was a really good meeting, and we are set off in the right direction. After the meeting and some waiting around to talk to the ZLs, we ended up getting back around 5pm. We went to go see A and T, only to be greeted by her mom handing back the Book of Mormons we gave them and telling us that she did not want us coming back again. Grr. But we stuck around the area, and ran into some more really awesome people, K and K, her daughter. We found them cleaning the garage, and we talked for about an hour or so. They are really cool, and both of them had a Book of Mormon already, and even THEY weren't sure how! But yeah, that made our day. then we saw S and C, and worked out some things with their living situation. Long story short, S is in the process of moving out and getting a divorce to his separated wife!

Saturday we took a F Day. We went to see T and talk a bit about the Word of Wisdom. She is totally down to live it, and she basically already was, which is fantastic. Then we went outside and saw that her neighbor was moving out, a really short old lady with a lot of heavy furniture. So the Mormon Missionary Moving Co. stepped right in! We got basically all her heavy stuff into the van before her son arrived. We were pretty pleased. then we visited a Hispanic guy named J, and had a pretty good discussion with him, though he was a bit tipsy. Then we saw D again, and committed him to come to church. He was excited to be able to go. then we went to the Bs, but a few of them were sick, so we ended up talking with the daughter and getting her to commit to come to church. 

Sunday was pretty good! T was the only one who ended up coming out of the people we had invited, but she still enjoyed it. We had a lot of new faces in church again, which is always nice. Afterwards, we took our lunch and went to a few people who weren't home before  going to the Os. As soon as we walked up, the mom, who was in the process of ordering food from someone, told them that we were there and to order 2 more of everything they ordered. Sooo we had a true Hispanic dinner. Highlights: Menudo (soup made from cow stomach) and Tacos de Lengua (cow tongue soft tacos). Menudo was...... interesting. It tasted all right, but the texture of boiled stomach is REALLY not good. Plus, it smelled a bit like what comes out of a cow stomach. Not doing that again. But the tongue tacos were REALLY GOOD! The meat is actually really tasty, and since they dice it you have to look really close to see the taste buds. But I would highly recommend it! Anyway, after that lovely culinary experience we went to Bay again. This week we set a goal with Q to go smoke free for 4 days of the week. It's gonna be rough, but he's in our prayers. 

Well, that's all! I'm super excited for Mother's day this Sunday,  since I get to actually FaceTime home and see them for the third time in 15 months! If you have any messages to pass on, just let them know! Or just email too. That actually may be easier. But yeah. BYEE!

Llamado a Servir,
Andrew Reay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.